Plug in hybrid vehicles is the composition of the internal combustion engine powered by the powerful batteries. The energy conversion unit (internal combustion engine ) can be loaded with the gasoline, hydrogen, compressed natural gases and the other fuels. Internal combustion engine serves as the back up to provide increase range, if the battery is low, the engine will kick on and charge the battery. The stored electricity is used power the electric motor that assists the vehicles gasoline engine during acceleration. Most of the energy used by the plug in vehicles comes from the electricity. They are more attractive to the environmental conscious consumers.
Plug in vehicles have much larger battery pack that are usually lithium-ion, which are more powerful than the standard hybrid's nickel metal hydride batteries. Plug in vehicles need to be recharged daily by plugging them into a standard 110 volt electrical house outlet wall. If they are not plugged in they will work similar to the hybrid electric vehicles. The plug in hybrid electric vehicle has a battery only range of 20 -60 miles. When the charge is no longer sufficient, the gasoline engine provide additional power to charge the batteries.
Advantages of Plug in Vehicles :
- Plug in hybrid electric vehicle cuts down the gasoline use.
- It is financially useful as the electricity is 75 percent less expensive, as compared to a cost of a gallon of a gasoline.
- Plug in vehicles are the best solution if you need to commute to short distances daily. You need not to go to the gas stations frequently.
- Plug-in-vehicles recover energy from regenerative braking.
- They provide tremendous potential to reduce our dependency on oil.
- They have proved to be environment friendly as they transmit less harmful emissions as compared to the other conventional vehicles.
- Plug in vehicles can also be designed to use renewable and domestically produced alternative fuels instead of diesel or gasoline.
- The gas tank remains untouched as long as the battery is charged.
- Grid connection potential.
- Plug in reduces the vehicle maintenance cost.
- They uses cheap and clean domestic electricity, reducing pollution.